Stoppage Time Goal sends K-W to PDL Final

Posted 01 August 2015 1:30 pm

K-W United FC is headed to the Premier Development League championship game.

United travelled to the West Coast Friday to take on the Seattle Sounders U23 in a semi-final matchup at Starfire Sports Complex in Tukwila, Washington for the right to play in Sundays final.

Riding a 13 game unbeaten streak, United were looking to continue their strong and impressive playoff run and did just that by scraping out a narrow 1-0 win in the dying seconds of the game. Despite hitting the post on three different occasions, United finally had one go in thanks to a perfectly placed free kick.

It was a slow start to the game for both sides, as they seemed to take a cautious laid back approach to try and figure out the style of their opponents.

United had the games first opportunity in the 18th minute when forward Oyvind Alseth struck the ball off the crossbar. Captain Sergio Camargo made a nice individual run down low and made the cut back for teammate Ben Polk who had his effort stopped on the goal line by Sounders defender Matthew Reinikka. The ball fell to Alseth at the top of the box and his shot beat everyone, including goalkeeper Jefferson Caldwell, before ringing of the woodwork.

The Black and Blue came close again in the 32nd minute when again the post denied the team of opening the scoring. Midfielder Joel Perez made a run into the Sounders box and squared the ball to Camargo who let off a low shot from 12 yards out that hit the left post and stayed out.

United's strong defensive play this season continued into Friday's matchup when they didn't allow a shot on Nathan Ingham's net until the 36th minute. The United keeper recorded his ninth clean sheet of the season.

There was a nervy moment for the United back line in the final minute of the first half when a Seattle clearance eluded defender Ridge Robison and allowed an oncoming Guillermo Delgado who sent an attempted chip shot that sailed just over Ingham's goal.

The goal posts continued to play a big part in the game when United were denied by the sticks for the third time of the night six minutes into the second half. Midfielder Ken Krolicki fired off a shot from just inside the box that beat the finger tips of Caldwell but not the crossbar, keeping zeros on the scoreboard.

Several more opportunities from both sides came to no avail as tired legs began to show in the latter minutes of the half when both teams seemed to be unable to hang on to the ball, instead firing the ball back and forth into each others side of the field.

It wasn't until second half stoppage time that United finally broke the deadlock. Sounders defender Blake Jones, who was subbed on just a few minutes earlier, took down a streaking Liam Callahan, handing United a free kick from 25 yards out.

Julian Bscher stepped up and sent in a curling shot that dipped into the bottom right corner of the net and past a sprawling Caldwell to put his side on the board with seconds remaining in the game.

United will now take on the New York Red Bulls U23 team in the PDL Championship Sunday at 2 PM localtime. The Red Bulls won their semi-final earlier in the day on a 114th minute goal over the Ocala Stampede. Joe Farrell, a second half substitute scored a lobbed ball from about 10 yards out to sent his team to the finals.