United down Bucks to enter Final Four

Posted 27 July 2015 10:22 am

K-W United FC's historic season continued through Saturday evening in Pontiac, Michigan in impressive and convincing fashion.

After advancing from the PDL Central Conference semi-final round with a 3-2 win Friday, United's fate had them setup for a rematch with division rivals and 2014 league champions Michigan Bucks in the conference finals.

Earlier in the season, United ended the Bucks 19 game unbeaten streak dating back to last year and again ended another run, ending their opponents playoff run with a 3-1 win, crowning United the Central Conference Champions.

It would be United who took the early lead in the 10th minute thanks to midfielder Ken Krolicki. After full back Liam Callahan whipped in a corner kick, Krolicki rose above his defender and head the ball home, giving United the 1-0 lead.

K-W had hardly finished celebrating their first goal when they struck for a second just four minutes later. Forward Adam Polakiewicz fired a low and powerful shot from distance that found its way past Andrew Shepherd, putting the Black and Blue up two within the first quarter of an hour.

The Bucks were no strangers to two goal deficits having come from behind by a pair of goals against the Thunder Bay Chill on Friday, fighting their way back to a 3-2 win in extra time to advance to this fixture.

Michigan caught United pushing numbers forward right before the half and forced a counter attack. Polakiewicz got back quickly and broke up the play in an unorthodox manner, earning him a caution.

United took the two goal advantage into the break and needed a big 45 minutes to see out the win.

To no surprise, Michigan's second half game plan was to attack, attack, and attack to try and find a way back into the match.

After United sustained several minutes of pressure, they broke numbers forward and struck for a third goal on the counter in the 57th minute. This time it was Wesley Cain who found the back of the net and pulled out his famous back flip celebration for the first time this season.

Michigan would find their break through in the 78th minute when Francis De Vries curled a free kick past goalkeeper Nathan Ingham, setting up a nervy final 12 minutes for the United defence.

United held strong and hung on for the 3-1 win, advancing to the PDL semi-finals with the victory. K-W United has been reseeded 1st and will take on the 4th seed Seattle Sounders U23 in Friday's semi-final match. Details as to where the Final Four will be held has yet to be determined.