TFC halt K-W streak with 2-2 Draw

Posted 06 July 2015 2:59 pm

K-W United FC's seven game PDL winning streak was put to a halt Saturday evening in Waterloo at University Stadium with a last minute goal to even the score at 2-2 against Toronto FC Academy.

The draw drops United into second place in the Great Lakes Division on goal differential, tied on points with the Michigan Bucks who have a game in hand.

United went down in the first half, but a strong second half performance saw the home side fight back with two goals. A goal in the dying minutes would even the score with the two teams splitting the spoils.

TFC came into the contest sitting fifth in the division and looking to play spoiler in their opponents pursuit of continuing their run in top spot.

It would be the visitors who opened the scoring in the 23rd minute. Ellias Roubos whipped in a corner kick into the back post that bounced off an unsuspecting Kevon Black and into the back of the net. The ball seemed to allude Black with the several bodies in front of him. But fortunately a lucky bounce put his side ahead.

United responded almost immediately when two minutes later, midfielder Oyvind Alseth cut the ball back to the penalty spot for anawaiting Bryce Follensbee. Follensbee got his legs tangled and fluffed on the shot, harmlessly falling into TFC goalkeeper Darrin MacLeods arms.

Follensbee would have a chance to redeem himself 10 minutes later with the ball falling to him at the back post with a wide open net, but the forward hit the side netting.

Despite several good looks on net for United, TFC held out and took a 1-0 lead into the intermission.

Desperate for an equalizer and a way back into the match, Chris Pozniak's side pushed numbers forward early in the second half.

They'd find the break through in the 69th minute after an excellent buildup play; right back Ridge Robinson combined with captain Sergio Camargo to get the ball down to the TFC corner. Camargo put in a low cross and the ball trickled through several bodies before finding Adam Polakiewicz who had an empty net to finish into with MacLeod caught out of position.

United would find the net for a second time just four minutes later when Camargo turned scorer after playing the provider role. The ball was slid into Camargo where he found himself some space at the top of theTFC penalty area before striking the ball low and hard into the bottom cornerto put his side up.

Satisfied with their lead, United dropped numbers behind the ball in the dying minutes to try and see out their lead, but it cost them in the 90th minute. A bouncing ball in the penalty area fell to TFC defender Marcus Godinho who lobbed a headed ball over United keeper Nathan Ingham.

Adam Polakiewicz was named Man of the Match for his performance.

United will try and get retribution on July 14th when the team heads to the Kia Training Ground to take on the Toronto FC Academy for the second consecutive game.