United Top League with 3-1 Victory

Posted 02 July 2015 12:22 am

K-W United FC continued their strong form with their seventh consecutive victory in PDL action. United ran away 3-1 winners over the Michigan Bucks Wednesday evening at University Stadium in Waterloo on Canada Day.

With the victory, United put an end to Michigan's 19 game undefeated streak in PDL play. Dating back to June 27th, 2014 is when the Bucks last lost to Chicago Fire II.

After narrowly edging the Dayton Dutch Lions 1-0 on Sunday despite a disappointing start to the game, Wednesday's game was a much different story for the home side.

Coming into the game, the Bucks sat first place in the Great Lakes Division, two points ahead of second placed United with a game in hand. With first place on the line, both teams needed to come out firing.

United would be the first side to threaten just four minutes into the contest when the ball struck the post after a deflection from forward Ben Polk's cross.

After both sides exchanged chances, United opened the scoring in the 15th minute from a quick counter attack up field. Goalkeeper Nathan Ingham corralled the ball from a Michigan free kick and sprang Jarek Whiteman who found a streaking Sergio Camargo up field. After beating a defender, Camargo toe poked the ball home past Bucks keeper Drew Sheppard to open the scoring.

United would strike for a second time just eight minutes later. Fullback Liam Callahan whipped in a corner kick and it fell to Oyvind Alseth. The forward brought the ball down with his chest and finished far post to stretch his teams advantage to two.

Desperate to find a way back into the game, the Bucks turned up the pressure and pinned their opponents back for the rest of the half. They would find the breakthrough in the 35th minute when United defender Zach Ellis-Hayden hauled down Thomas Owens in the penalty box.

Owens himself would step up and place the ball into the net in the 35th minute to cut United's lead in half.

United would hold out for the rest of the half and take a 2-1 lead into the intermission.

Camargo would restore his sides two-goal lead in the 70th minute. After a sequence of passing plays, the Colombian found himself some space in the Bucks box and curled the ball into the far corner.

The two goals took Camargo's season tally to six, second most in the United squad.

United now sit first place in the division with 27 points, two ahead of the Bucks with one extra game played. They now also hold the most points in the Great Lakes Conference and entire PDL.

Captain Sergio Camargo was named Man of the Match for is performance.

K-W continues its four game home stand when the Toronto FC Academy travel down the 401 highway to Waterloo Saturday afternoon.