K-W Drop Home Opener

Posted 02 June 2015 9:32 am

It was a classic rain filled afternoon of soccer in Waterloo on Sunday at University as K-W United FC played host to rivals Forest City London in the teams home opener of the 2015 PDL season.

Local and travelling supporters braved the cold elements to support their respective teams in what is becoming a widely popular affair whenever the two teams square off.

The Londoners used a strong second half showing to ruin the festivities with a convincing 3-1 victory. They improved to 3-0-1 on the season, as the 2012 league champions remain undefeated with a strong start to their campaign.

Alejandro Pastor led the way for the visitors with his second and third goals of the season.

It was the home side, however, which scored first early into the second half.

After a lackluster first half from both sides with the ball moving quicker than usually on the wet and soggy turf, things began to pick up after the intermission as players adjusted.

Bryce Follensbee put United ahead 1-0 in the 53rd minute after a swirling cross into the back post from captain Sergio Camargo found the towering striker. Camargo beat his man down the left wing, switched to his right foot and put it on a plate for his teammate.

Follensbee had a fantastic opportunity just two minutes later after he managed to beat the London offside trap, but was beaten to the ball by London keeper Mark Haynes who was quick off his line to clear the danger.

The goal awoke the visitors and they upped the pressure. Martin Painters side grew into the game in the second half, retaining the ball well and their possession paid off shortly after.

After a cross-found James Pucci at the back post, he redirected the ball to Pastor who had an open net to finish into. The equalizer lifted London spirits and they smelled blood.

The goal ended United goalkeeper Nathan Ingham's shutout record at 248 minutes.

Just six minutes later, Pastor scored again in the 74th minute. Ingham made the initial save that trickled to the side; with Ingham on the floor, Pastor beat centre back Quante Smith in a foot race for the loose ball. The goals were Pastor's second and third goals of the season.

London added an insurance marker in the 79th minute when defender Aurelien Norest used a nice back heel off a corner kick that found its way into the net in the 79th minute to give his side a two goal cushion.

That would be all London needed to remain at the top of the Great Lakes Division.

"It feels pretty good getting a goal, obviously you wish it was under different circumstances," Follensbee said after the disappointing result.

"But anytime you put the ball in the back of the net,its a positive. Now I have to keep training hard and look to keep doing thatin every game that I play."

United head back on the road with consecutive away games in the United States against Derby City Rovers and Dayton Dutch Lions as they try and rebound from the defeat.

"We just have to get back at it and put this resultbehind us," the 6'3 Follensbee went on to say.

"Come back in training in the next few days, really hit it hard and get our minds right before we head out and just take it game by game."

Man of the Match was awarded to Mathieu Laurent for his performance.

Article by Bassil Thayabeh.